Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Hunt for Dead Relatives and the Lives They Lived

















Today has been a long day. John picked me up at 10 AM and took me on a six-hour tour of the area here where my family lived. We visited churches and graveyards, had lunch in a pub built in the 1400's, and I went with him for a quick round of bloodtests. His clinic is right next to the veterinary clinic! I thought he was joking when he pulled in. We also visited the crematorium where my grandparents were cremated and there was a large Sikh funeral going on. There were so many Indian women in native dress and men with turbans, but what was incongruous was the bagpiper playing. John thought the dead man might have been in the military. Because they were obviously grieving, we didn't stay long.


We found some graves of ancestors which was very cool and John and I had the day to talk about so many things. He was a wonderful tour guide. Our pub lunch was really nice, and we had a seat at the window overlooking the church yard next door. The doorway to the pub was only about 5 feet tall....I had to duck. People were much smaller back then.
Meanwhile, Jim went to Gilwell Park, the national training base for English adult Scouters and the ancestral home of Wood Badge. You might remember that Jim was awarded his Wood Badge in June. He had a great time, got there and back in one piece with a slight one hour detour, and bought himself a shirt and some patches. He came back to Maple Cross (where the relatives live) and John and I met up with him there at 4 PM.


We all went to David and Margaret's and visited for a while and then Jim and I stayed for supper while John went home to rest his leg. I've really tired him out, I'm afraid. He isn't complaining, but we did a lot of walking. He's such a good sport and so enthusiastic about family history. Tomorrow he's taking us to Riseley and Harrold in Bedfordshire to do research on the Nutter family, and afterward, he'll head home while Jim and I will continue on to Derby.

We had a wonderful evening with David and Margaret. She made us a chicken casserole with mushrooms, onions, and peppers, and fresh carrots, green beans and potatoes, plus a lovely plum crisp with Bird's custard for dessert. While Jim helped David with some computer problems, Margaret and I sat at the table for three hours just talking and catching up on all the important things in our lives. I hope they'll come to America one day as she also has a brother in New Jersey and they could really have a great time.

So, my goal for tonight is to be in bed before Jim falls asleep, so I need to end here. Thanks to everybody who has left comments...it's so nice to come back and know people are reading. Tomorrow we'll be up early in the morning to check out and meet John. The one thing I will say is that visiting the relatives is tiring.....people to see, things to do, and so little time. But the dead ones don't talk nearly as much!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paulie!
Loved the comment about the bagpiper at the Sikh funeral! Incongruous indeed! Glad to hear you're having fun and finding lots
of dead relatives!

I'm looking forward to following along with your trip till the end.
Have fun!
Andrea